Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm actually in JAPAN

I am in Marugame, Japan on the island of Shikoku. My trainer is Elder Young from Australia. I can't even remember much from my final days in MTC. We did get to go out to the field for our last two gym times. We played a game of softball on our last day. Other than that, I can't remember anything from my last week of the MTC. It was a very long plane ride from LAX to Narita in Tokyo. When we were flying over Japan it wasn't the urban sprawl I was expecting. Narita is pretty far away from Tokyo (three hours I think). Anyway it was all rice fields and golf courses with a few pockets of houses here and there. We got on another plane to Hiroshima and I slept the whole way there. I guess the airport is in the mountains and it was a cool landing from what the others said. I slept through it all. President Isa and his assistants picked us up at the airport. We had a meal and went to bed. We had all been up for over 24 hours with all the flights. We got to sleep a little on the flights but we were all beat by the time we got there. I slept on a futon but I probably could have slept on a rock. We got to go to the Peace Park in Hiroshima the next day. It was a pretty "heavy" experienve as President Isa put it. While we were driving around Hiroshima it felt like I was just in downtown San Diego. It was a really weird feeling That night I found I was going to Marugame to work with Elder Young. Everyone said he was really funny. He is pretty funny. I missed one of my trains on the way to Marugame so I had to wait another half hour. I finally got to Marugame and met Elder Young. We are still getting closer. I guess I just had different expectations about missionary work. The first couple of weeks have been hard: not really knowing the language, trying to take in all kinds of new stuff, and trying to work hard when I feel so tired all the time. Things are going better. It's all about my attitude. God is definitely help me through it. Sorry I don't have more exciting news. I try to give some more details about being a missionary in Japan next week. Lots of love, Elder Hogewoning

No comments:

Post a Comment